Sunday, August 28, 2011

My life's Motto

I can do all things through Christ who strengthen's me! Philippians 4:13

As I sit here I just wonder . . . . how long has this verse been my favourite, how often do I live it, how often do I forget??
One of the tricky parts in this verse for me is the I at the beginning

I can do all things . . .

well actually I can't
and so often I get so disheartened because of just that, I can't do all things
I think of my four year old and the frustrations he faces because he can't, though 90% of the things he CAN'T do are things he is completly capable of, he just wants some one to take the time and do them WITH him!

I wish I could be more like that in some ways, asking for help from God to get through even the everyday situations, and though I don't cry aloud the way he does, I sure scream inside some days, and others get my frustration in spiteful comments or a grumpy attitude.

I guess in some ways we just don't grow up

But in others we do,

when we are kids we are encouraged to ask for help, as a teacher I am always telling my students to ask for help, not just sit there and wait for the answer to fall from the sky. Yet as adults and especially parents we try to do things, to do all things on our own, it somehow seems wrong to ask for help even when everything gets tooooo much!




I have to constantly remind myself of the second part of this motto, through Christ who strengthens me! And as I contemplate returning to work in less than two weeks after having my beautiful second son Josiah . . . .

I guess I need to forget a little about the checklists and weekly plans and rely on Christ to create my direction, rather than follow in my wake of miracle house fixes and meal plans and home decor ideas.


I can do all things ( that is the important things ) through CHRIST who strengthens me!!

The first half of the verse makes me a Martha, I love that it says she welcomed him into her home, but I also become worried and upset by all the details of just living, is my house tidy, do my meals taste good, am I doing the best I can . . . I, I, I, I.

I long to be a Mary just sitting at Jesus' feet, while still worrying about everything getting done.

BUT I CAN do all things THROUGH CHRIST who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13


Jesus Visits Martha and Mary
38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” 41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her. Luke 10.”

No comments:

Post a Comment